How Much Do Freelance Translators Earn?
The demand for freelance translators is growing as businesses increasingly need to communicate with customers and clients worldwide. Many people are making money by freelancing as it has become trendy due to various reasons. The main benefits of freelancing include schedule flexibility, control over the type of work you take on and an excellent way to make money from the translation industry.
Freelancers have a wide variety of options according to their expertise. Freelance translators specifically understand that communication is part of our daily lives. Despite all the connectedness throughout the world, the language barrier might even pose a grave threat to business deals. This is the main reason the demand for freelance translators is proliferating.
According to Data USA, the number of professional translators is expected to grow by 20% in the United States. This translation job is a promising idea where you can make handsome money. The chances are that you will get good work. However, the amount of money depends on skills.
Tactics for Freelance Translators to Make Money Online
You can opt for two basic options as a professional translator. The first one is to work exclusively from your network or freelance platforms. In this scenario, you work 8 hours per day to make a suitable amount of money. The second option is to combine your regular full-time job with professional translation. This way helps you get half of your average salary if you work on weekends. So, you are working extra 18 hours per week to get maximum benefits. However, the first option seems good for people who like flexibility as you can work any time at your place. You are not restricted to the conventional Monday to Friday routine with office timings from 9 am to 5 pm. Sometimes, you can also get clients paying much more beyond your expectations. However, it all depends on your skill level and translation expertise.
Diverse Types of Translation Tasks to Earn Money
Some factors will influence the amount of money when working as a freelance translator. There are various jobs as it is not like the conventional document translation. Some ways will prove beneficial to finding your domain.
- Speech translation includes lectures and telephonic conversations.
- Specialised translation involves legal translations and technical translations.
- Localisation and website translation
- Movie subtitle translation
- Video game localisation
These are some ways to help you make money according to your expectations and give you a chance to excel in this field.
Accurate Earning of Freelance Translators
Time to answer the main question: How much money do freelance translators earn? Typically, a professional translator earns about £65,000 per year with £20 per hour. However, salaries vary between £50,000 and £150,000 per year for working full-time.
When it comes to translation rates per word, professional freelance translators usually translate 500 words within an hour. This means your daily output is about 2000-3000 words a day. So, if you are getting £0.10 per word, a full-time annual income, in this case, is £50,000.
Moreover, there is no need to worry if you can’t make that money. You can always increase your translation rates by getting more certificates and proving your worth to the clients. With the right attitude and dedication, you can make good earnings from freelance translation jobs with the right attitude and commitment.
Tips for Working with a Translation Agency to Get Maximum Earning
If you are going to work for any translation agency, you must be consistent with your work. Here are some tips that you can improve to win more translation projects:
- You should provide an accurate translation that renders the exact meaning of the source.
- There should be no grammatical errors, formatting issues and typos.
- The quality of translation should be consistent for every job.
- You must accept jobs in your domain only, for example, if you are specialised in legal translation, you should not accept a job in marketing translation.
- Meet your deadlines in every possible way. Late delivery will affect your profile on the database of the translation agency.
Freelance translators can earn handsome money either by doing part-time or full-time jobs. All you have to do is work with dedication to fulfil your clients’ demands in the best possible ways to get maximum earnings. You can choose to do it on flexible timings or full-time like a 9 to 5 job. Keep in mind that the more you work, the more payments you will receive.
Renaissance Translations Employs the Most Professional Experts
If you would like to join our team of experts, please see below our requirements:
- Our translators should have at least 5 years of translation experience.
- Have a degree in translation from a reputable institution.
- Handle an online translation test to confirm translation proficiency.
- A membership with a professional translation institution such as ITI, CIOL or ATA will be a plus.
- Apply to work with us using the recruitment page.
Good luck in your future endeavours!