Unique Foreign Language Translation Needs for Governments and NGOs
There is a reason that government organisations are often considered bureaucracies and have the reputation of being full of “red tape”. Most government officials, administrators and legislators agree that the amount of information that passes through governing bodies is excessive, but important. Oftentimes, this information requires translation from one language to another to be understood by all the stakeholders to make good decisions and ensure efficient operations.
- Forms and Instructions for Completion: Filling out paper or online forms has become a daily task for many. To receive any type of certificate (birth, marriage, divorce, death) or licence (drivers, teaching, fishing etc.) first requires an application or registration process. Several countries, states, cities and other jurisdictions are providing their most commonly used forms in the most widely spoken languages in their area, for ease of completion and, therefore, requiring professional translation.
- Legislation: All levels of government have the authority to create policies and laws. These lengthy documents must be presented in draft form before being voted on. These drafts will have a higher likelihood of being read (and passed) if they are presented in the most-spoken languages of the governmental officials. The final versions are typically published in the legal languages of the area. As several countries have more than one official language, it is common for everything to be submitted to a foreign language translation company.
- International Conference Proceedings: Gathering influential people internationally is a great way to share information cross-culturally. It is, therefore, vitally important that the data is documented and retained in all of the languages of the attendees. Ensuring that accurate proceedings are kept on record requires a professional language service provider (LSP) to complete all the translations.
- Visiting Delegation Itineraries and Information: Nothing is more exciting than an overseas trip to a country never visited. The frustration that can accumulate due to the lack of communication or miscommunication is also staggering. Visitors not only appreciate, but require, being informed of schedules for their daily planning. Presenting as much information as possible in their native language is a host courtesy. Having a translation agency on retainer available on short notice to translate last minute foreign visitors is prudent for all governments.
- Military Training and Documentation: Accurate training manuals for military personnel are critical. Ensuring complete understanding for every member of the armed forces is a top priority. Translating these materials into the native languages of the enlisted men and women is a precaution many countries should undertake. Professional translation companies will have military subject matter experts available to translate from and to any language 24/7.
- Communications with overseas staff: Most governments produce regular internal departmental communications that are distributed worldwide to staff overseas. These communiques are sometimes also shared with country nationals employed by the governmental employer. Again, ensuring complete understanding by all the employees (regardless of their native language) is crucial to efficiently operate programmes worldwide. Contracting a translation agency to handle your reports and updates into all languages where you operate is a good idea.
Oftentimes, government documents require certified translations or proof of authenticity. Governments cannot take chances when it comes to mistranslated materials, and so they require additional assurances from their translation agencies.
To learn more about the government and NGO translation services provided by Renaissance Translations, please contact our dedicated professional translation team for more information. You can call on +44 (0) 161 818 2121 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer 24/7 service and will respond to your enquiry quickly.