Professional Translation Services for Oil, Gas, Energy and Mining
The energy industry is both one of the largest industries on the planet, and one of the most important, as all economic output requires energy of some kind. Nowadays, scientific, medical, communications and transportation infrastructures depend upon access to a reliable and uninterrupted power supply; maintaining a consistent energy supply can literally be a matter of life and death, making clear communication, including professional translation services, vitally important. Energy production technologies have expanded to include renewable and non-traditional sources. Still, much of the world remains reliant on mining coal, drilling for oil and pumping natural gas. The coal and oil industries, with many international ventures, have a high need for professional translation services. Below we discuss why professional translation services are so important for the oil and gas, energy and mining industries.
Why do we need Professional Translation Services for Oil and Gas?
Worldwide demand for electricity is steadily increasing every year, which in turn creates demand for energy sources, both renewable and non-renewable. Historically, there were only a handful of countries in the Middle East as well as the USA and Russia that were known for supplying the majority of the world’s fossil fuel supply. Now there are new supply locations across the globe, on every continent. Countries like China, Brazil, Venezuela, Nigeria and Norway have joined the ranks as the world’s top oil producers. The globalised nature of the mining and energy industry requires impeccable communication throughout the supply chain from production to distribution. Logically, the demand for professional translation services for oil and gas, energy and mining industries has increased exponentially.
Operational Stages that Require Translation
Here are just a few of the main operational stages that will require professional translation services in the energy, mining, oil and gas industries. Clearly, businesses should translate professional communications into the intended readers’ language to guarantee complete understanding. Vitally, contracting a professional translation service provider mitigates the many risks inherent in miscommunications for these industries.
- Planning & Negotiations: All business deals require numerous interactions between multiple parties to produce a product for sale and distribution. These parties are often spread across the world. Ensuring accurate communication and thorough comprehension of all the contractual details, via accurate and professional translation services is critical in the oil and gas industry. The scale of operations and size of the financial transactions are simply too large to risk miscommunications.
- Compliance Reporting: The power supply industries have many regulations to comply with. Industry standards and best practices exist, and national and local governments also require compliance to protect their citizens and the environment. The complex requirements can be difficult to understand when written in multiple languages across geographic borders. Working with a team of professional native translators who are also industry subject matter experts is important when producing high-quality compliance materials and reports. A professional translation service of a report could make the difference between passing or failing compliance standards.
- Environmental, Health, Safety (EHS or HSE) Planning: Beyond basic compliance with mandatory regulations, the power industries have a responsibility to protect the earth and to safeguard every person in contact with their operations. Plans and procedures need to be in place to prepare for any and all unexpected situations. These communications must be clear to everyone who reads them. Therefore, accurate and professional translation services of these plans into the appropriate languages for your employees and partners to read is important.
Examples of Oil and Gas Translation Projects
Below is a list of various documents that should be considered, especially if the targeted audience speaks a different language than the document’s author. Professional translation services will safeguard the understanding of the reader and can prevent significant and costly misunderstandings.
- Legal documents such as patents and contracts
- Engineering documentation such as geotech analysis, land surveys, technical specifications, CAD drawings, schematics, and electrical single-line drawings
- Construction/Project Management/Maintenance documents, including schedules, budgets, plans, and equipment manuals
- Vendor, Subcontractor & Customer Negotiations; for example, requests for quotes/proposals (RFPs or RFQs), quotes, proposals
- Human Resources documents and communications, regarding recruitment and management of personnel
- Marketing content, including both print and online materials
- Quality control, policies and procedures
- Employee Training, such as videos (voiceover and subtitling), presentations and user manuals.
- Health & Safety: EHS or HSE plans and reports
- Government Compliance such as permits and reporting
- General & miscellaneous: Any important communications between speakers of different languages
Renaissance Translations’ Professional Translation Services
Our subject matter experts are available to provide high-quality and professional translation services for all types of documents. Over the years, we have provided high-quality translations to many oil and gas providers such as Aramco, Shell, and Sabic. With a network of skilled translators who are industry experts, we can provide professional services in a range of services.
Your partnership with Renaissance Translations comes with professional memberships such as ATC and SDL LSP Partner Programme. Contact us today to discuss how we can help with your next oil and gas translation project.