Looking for a Professional Translation Agency in the UK
The task of finding a professional translation agency in the United Kingdom (UK) is more challenging than one might expect. The Association of Translation Companies (ATC) surveys UK language service providers annually. Most recently, they reported an estimated 1,600 providers are located in the UK alone, with annual revenues of £1.35 bn. This makes the UK the world’s second largest language services market. There are several global trends responsible for the tremendous growth in the translation industry. With this growth also comes significant challenges. Read our related blogs for an overview of the UK language services industry and Brexit’s impact on the translation industry.
How to hire a professional translation partner in the UK
With so many professional translation agencies to choose from in the UK and worldwide, where should you begin looking for a translation vendor? Similar to any successful project, it’s critical to start with why you are considering the proposed action. Then, define what needs to be done, the parameters and then finally how to implement it. And, finally, don’t forget to evaluate the final outcomes.
- Confirm why you need a professional translator: More than likely, Google translate or other technology applications will likely not meet your communication projects goals. Hiring a qualified translation company comes with additional benefits that cannot be provided by machines. For example, they can also provide valuable pre-project consulting to ensure your translation project goals are met efficiently with a high-quality and accurate final deliverable. Read our blog outlining three important reasons to hire a professional translation service.
- Decide what needs to be done: Although a good service provider will guide you through the project definition stages, it’s best if you come with pre-determined clear project goals, a timeline and budget considerations. If you are unfamiliar with the pricing structures offered in the language service industry, read about the factors that may impact your project quote in our blog entitled How much should translation services cost.
- Determine who will provide the best service for your unique needs: The translation industry is crowded with both freelancers and professional translation agencies. Choosing the best fit for your specific translation project needs will probably be the primary criteria you review. Both individual translators and agencies have diverse skills, backgrounds and areas of subject matter expertise. Finding a provider that is native in the target language and fluent in the source language is critical. Secondly, the translator should already have a high level of knowledge with regard to the content to be translated. Remember not all linguists have the specific skills and expertise needed to be professional translators.
- Learn how to identify and successfully work with a translation partner: Now that you have narrowed down the parameters of your translation project and have an idea of what type of language service provider will meet your needs, it’s time to identify and contact potential partners. Yes! We have a blog on that topic too: “11 Ways to Identify a Good Translator Match.” Once the service contract is signed with your new translation partner, you will want to do everything you can to guarantee the project progresses smoothly. We have compiled 8 tips for success when working with a translation firm.
- Evaluate the final outcomes: No project is complete without a thorough look at the original goals, timeline, budget and final deliverables. Although you may have the skills needed to evaluate the goals accomplished as well as review the originally proposed schedule and the initial quote against the final invoice, how will you evaluate the final deliverable if you can’t read both languages? After all, if you could fluently write in both the source and target languages, you may not have needed to hire a professional translator in the first place! Luckily, we have also compiled a simple summary of how to ensure the accuracy of your translation.
Renaissance Translations is a highly qualified and fully insured professional translation agency in the UK. At Renaissance Translations, we take your translation projects very seriously and would be honoured to be your preferred translation partner. Contact us to discuss your project parameters.